Saturday, March 29, 2008

Scientology – What Got Me Interested

There were several things that got me interested in Scientology, but one of the main ones was that no one shoved their ideas down my throat. I really liked that because from Sunday School to University, it seemed I was supposed to just believe what I was told. What the Bible said was true! What the physics book said was true! I found that no one was very interested in my opinion or in my deciding for myself if what was being said were true or not.

So on the first day of my communications course I read something I didn't believe and I said to the course supervisor, "I can't believe this!" and he said, "That's okay. Make sure you understand it, then apply it and see for yourself if it is true or not." That was a surprise. It was the first time anyone had ever said that to me. That impressed me and in the 30 years since, I have continued to be impressed by the fact that I hear that same sentence again and again.

Recently I was studying the book, "Scientology: The Fundamentals of Thought" and I came across this from L. Ron Hubbard:

In Scientology we have very little to do with forcing people to make conclusions. An individual can experience these things [Scientology beliefs] for himself. And unless he can do so, no one expects him to accept them.

That's how we operate in Scientology!

No comments: